Friday, June 3, 2011

The power of adding Linkedin connections - Part 2 (Adding Connections' Connection)

Hi everyone. Hope Linkedin is helping you find your dream career. If not yet, keep visiting this space fore more. This is in continuation to my previous post "The power of adding connections - Part 1". Without wasting much time, I'll move straight to the topic.
Adding connections' connection (2nd degree connection) can sometimes be the most effective way to expand your linkedin network because the chances of your acceptance are very high because you will have a connection in common and the person wouldn't spy on you much. It is not a good idea to explore each and every connection of your direct connection and find people who may help you in your career search because this may eat infinite amount of time. The trick here is to search the targeted person through "People" search option located on the top-right corner of your linkedin home page.
To expand your connection using this method, there are just two key steps:


  • Search the relevant 2nd degree connection through Linkedin search people

  • Write an appropriate message so the person almost certainly accepts you

Too complicated? Let's illustrate the process through an example. Suppose My name is XYZ and I currently have 40 direct connections (1st degree connections). I am currently working in a financial reporting profile in ABC company for the past 2 years. I feel I now have some good knowledge of Finance and I should switch to a better role say Finance audit in some other company. To expand the network in the best possible way I will do the following:


Try to type different target keywords in the people search option depending on the company and profile you're looking. like "Finance", "audit", "assistant manager - finance", "DEF Company". You might also use the Advanced search option there. Now you have to figure out how to become a better searcher. I don't want to start a search tutorial here. Once you find a 2nd degreee connection which you feel is in a position to help you out or can help you out in future you send a "Add to connection" request to the person. Select "Friend" radio button and you can write a message. Following is an example.


"Hi Name, I am currently working with XYZ as Position since the last 2 years. I have a strong knowledge in Profile. I am looking for a change and I thought you could be helpful. Request you to add me to your network - Thanks"


You can also state that your direct connection gave a reference to be more personal if your first degree connection knows the 2nd degree connection well and is close to you.


Warning: Don't add mass connections using this manner. This might lead to many 'I don't knows'. So do some research and add connections wisely using this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment